Mar 28, 2020

#

DIY No-sew: Turn an old top into a fringe top

DIY Episode 01

fringe top diy, no-sew
In my this DIY clothes project I've made a fringe top out of my old not-so-used top. Fringe is the hottest trend this summer. Fringing a top is an easy and fun way to produce a totally new look from an old boring top. I just love how fringe gives so much movement & uniqueness to every top. And, what is better than a homemade fringe top?
I decided to make my fringe even more interesting & special with a cool knotting technique.

What do we need to make a DIY fringe top?

  • Any simple regular top [I've used my old cold shoulder top for this...]
  • A pair of scissors
  • A tape [optional]/ a chalk/ fabric marker

Procedure:



1. Mark where the fringe will start.
Cut out the excess portion from the top that you don't want anymore, as I've done in the above picture. Mark a line upto where you want your fringes to be. I've used a tape for that as you can see above. 

2. Measure the chalk line.
Lay the shirt down on a flat surface such as the floor or the table. Measure the distance from each armpit of the top to each end of the drawn line. Adjust the measurement & make them equal on both the sides.

3. Mark your fringe lines.
Lay your ruler on the drawn line and using a chalk mark half inch intervals where your strips will be cut. Once you finish marking the top of the top, lay your ruler on the bottom of the top and again, mark out ½ inch intervals where you are going to cut your fringe strips. Then, lay your ruler vertically on the top, and connect the ½ inch marks. This will give a clear line on which to cut your fringe. You could also free cut your strips without marking lines to cut along, but cutting along measured lines will make your top look less sloppy.

4. Cut your top.
Now, cut vertically upwards to create strips as I've done to create fringe. Just be sure that both the front and back of the top are spread out and flat when you start cutting. Stop cutting once you get to the top line.

5. Stretch out the strips.
 When all the fringe strips are cut, use one hand to hold the top down and in place. Use your other hand to tug on the bottom of the strips, to curl in the cut sides and make the strips look more like fringe.


6. Make the knot.
Take two consecutive strips and make a knot as I've shown in the pic. Do the same for all other strips. Knot it as up as possible. 

  • You can leave your top like this with small knots going around your shirt, or you can add another layer of knots to give your top a crisscross knotted look.

Sharing a closure view, so that you can understand it better.



7. Criss-cross knot.
Next, make the knot after almost an inch of a distance. But, this time take strips from two consecutive pair.
This is how it should look.


Smiliarly, go for third layer. I hope you are understanding this well.


8. Cut out the excess portion of the strip.
Last thing remain. Cut out the excess portion of the fringe. Take a look at the above pic.
That's it. You are done.

To be honest, I'm trying such kind of clothing DIYs for the first time in my life which I would share with you peeps in upcoming posts. So, I'm really eager to know if you are liking this creativity of my mine or not. Please do share your views on this topic with me. You can either comment down below or DM me on my instagram account :@serene_hansika
I would love to see your innovations  too. So, do share with me...

Link to my few other posts that you may like:


Follow my blog!

Subscribe my blog to get notified whenever I post new updates.
Let me know in the comments section below if you have any query or suggestion related to my blog.
Thank you.
Loads of love.♥️


6 comments:

Follow me @hansikalathi

https://instagram.com/hansikalathi?igshid=1gyzpd2nmw1qu